- 1 kg of strong white bread flour
- 1 tablespoon of fine sea salt
- 14 grams of dried yeast
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 650 ml of lukewarm water
- 3 tablespoons of tomato and pepper paste (you can use 5/6 tablespoons of tomato paste if you can’t find pepper paste)
- ½ cup of olive oil
- 4 small cloves of crushed garlic
- Handful of chopped mint
- ½ teaspoon of cumin
- 1 teaspoon of dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon of black pepper
- ½ teaspoon of paprika
- ½ cup of water
Mix all the ingredients together and then add the water little at a time as you may not need to use it all. You should end up with a thick sauce that can be easily spread onto the rolled out dough.
You can use whatever you want for topping but here are a few ideas:
Chicken Delight – pizza sauce, sliced onion, shredded chicken, thinly sliced mushrooms, small can sweetcorn, sliced coloured capsicum peppers, pitted olives, topped with lots of mozzarella cheese
Pepperoni Bomb – pizza sauce, sliced onion, sliced pepperoni, salami, ham (you can put all or just one), sliced coloured capsicum peppers, thinly sliced tomatoes, topped with lots of mozzarella cheese
Spicy Meat Deluxe – pizza sauce, sliced onion, small meat balls, jalapeno peppers, thinly sliced tomatoes, topped with lots of mozzarella cheese
Vegetarian Bomb – pizza sauce, sliced onion, thinly sliced aubergine (soak the sliced aubergine in water and some sugar for 30 minutes and then wash and dry), thinly sliced zucchini, thinly sliced mushrooms, small can sweetcorn, sliced coloured capsicum peppers, pitted olives, topped with lots of mozzarella cheese.
1) Sieve the flour and salt into a large bowl and make a well in the centre.
2) Add the yeast and sugar to ½ cup of lukewarm water, mix it up with a fork and leave for few minutes
3) Pour the yeast mixture into the well and start bringing the flour, adding more of the lukewarm water bit at a time. You can use a fork to do this. Once you have mixed all the flour with the water, you will end up with a sticky dough. At this stage flour your hands and start kneading the dough. You should knead the dough for at least 10 minutes. If it is too sticky then you should add a little flour. You should end up with a soft springy smooth dough.
4) Once your dough is done put some olive oil around it and cover it with foil or clean cloth. Let that rise for at least 30 minutes. It should double in size.
5) Once your dough has doubled in size then divide it into 6 pieces, roll it into a ball and let them rest for around 10 minutes covered with greased foil.
6) After 10 minutes take one of the balls, dust your surface and the dough with a little flour, and roll it out into a rough circle. You can make it as thin as you like your pizza to be but make sure it’s not too thin.
7) You should pre-heat your oven to 250 C/fan before you start putting your toppings on your pizza.
You can use any topping you like and I have set above some examples. When you are putting topping on your dough you should first spread the pizza sauce all over the dough and then put the toppings as you like and then finish with lots of mozzarella cheese covering the whole pizza. Don’t put too much topping, less is always more.
I use a pizza pan with holes at the bottom. If you don’t have a pizza pan then I would suggest making small pizzas and cooking them on foils. Always cook pizza at the bottom half of your oven. The cooking time is normally 7 to 10 minutes. You should cook it until the pizzas are golden and crispy.